If you have freight that needs to deliver to a location not equipped with a loading dock – for example, a delivery to a residential location or inside an office building – then you will likely need what is referred to in the industry as inside delivery service. Some questions you should be prepared to answer when quoting out this service are:
- To what floor will the delivery need to be made?
- Is there an elevator? Is it a freight elevator? If the answer is no, will the freight fit into a passenger elevator? If not, can the freight be broken down?
- If there is no elevator how many steps will be required to make the delivery?
- Can one person carry the freight themselves?
- Will the client/customer help with either loading or offloading? If not, will a 2nd man “driver’s helper be needed?
- Will a lift-gate be required?
“Inside deliveries” frequently require a lift-gate service as well. A lift-gate is a motorized platform attached to the back of the truck that moves up and down by a hydraulic system. Lift-gates are necessary if the consignee is not equipped with a loading dock or forklift and the freight weighs more than 100lbs per piece.
For residential pickups or deliveries a delivery appointment will be necessary. Most companies work within a 4 hour window during normal business hours of 8AM to 5PM Mon-Fri. A “no go” or re-delivery fee will be assessed if a driver shows up and no one is available to give or receive the freight.
At First Call Trucking we offer a variety of services including inside delivery service. Additionally, our trucks are equippted with liftgates, pallet jacks, and dollies and a seconed man “driver’s helper” can be available upon request.
For more information about our products and services contact us today and make First Call the first call for all your trucking and courier needs.