In a winter where waste has been recorded at 25% higher levels than the rest of the year, here’s a list of reasons why companies should recycle:
1. American companies rely on recycling programs to provide the raw materials they need to make new products or complete a product to its final process of production.
2. Recycling in the USA is a $236 billion a year industry. There are more than 56,000 recycling plants around the country that employ 1.1 million workers nationwide. As such, the recycling industry is an economic driver for the entire country – providing jobs and wages to millions of people.
3. The average American discards seven and a half pounds of garbage every day, which is the highest average in the world due to an economic model favoring consumption. So the potential for reduction of waste is extremely high.
4. Recycling requires far less energy and uses fewer natural resources than dumping. Also, making goods from recycled materials generates far less water pollution than manufacturing from virgin materials.
5. Recycling offers significant energy savings over manufacturing with virgin materials. For example, manufacturing with recycled aluminum cans uses 95% less energy than manufacturing with virgin aluminum
6. No one wants to live next door to a landfill and recycling preserves existing landfill space from an accumulation of waste, which then preserves the environment and the landscape.
7. Recycling and buying recycled products creates demand for more recycled products, decreasing waste and helping our economy